home > specialist program > academic extension
Elite Academic Extension
The Academic Extension (AE) Program aims to encourage and stimulate students’ to excel at school. The program places particular emphasis on developing an understanding of different learning styles and skills in inquiry, analytical, critical and creative thinking. Classroom teachers aim to provide a stimulating environment, to give students the skills and the time to explore an issue, text or problem in more depth and communicate their conclusions more effectively. Students are encouraged to gradually take responsibility for their own learning.
The curriculum that the students study is greatly enriched and extended to provide learning opportunities that assist them to maximize their talents and abilities. Learning is enhanced by:-
1. Workshops and quest speakers that support the development of
• Problem solving
Critical and lateral thinking skills as well as organisation and research skills.
• Emotional intelligence.
• Career pathways
2. Excursions to
• SciTech, CSIRO, Digital Studio
• Horizon and the Planetarium
• Fremantle Literacy Centre
3. Opportunities to present to an audience the results of their research and to display presentation skills
• “Night of the Notables”
• Photographic and video performances
• Production and presentation of a musical DVD
• “Theatre Sports” & “Theatre in the Edge”
4. Entry into competitions in Mathematics, Science, English and Society & Environment.
5. There is a three day camp for all Academic Extension students Yrs 8 to 10 in December each year.
The Structure and Selection Process:
Students in the AE Program are together for English, Society and Environment, Mathematics and Science. The teachers of these subjects work co operatively to develop a challenging and stimulating curriculum. The program supports the nurturing of leadership skills and the promotion of empathy towards all members of the community as an integral part of developing well rounded and successful individuals.
Students are able to be in the Specialist Performing Arts Program and Football program and the Academic Extension Program.
Students are eligible for the program if they are entitled to enrol at Wanneroo SHS. Selection Process:
The students will be selected on the basis of the NAPLAN test and the recommendation of their Primary School Teacher. In addition the Dux of each of our partner Primary Schools will be automatically included.
DREAM, BELIEVE, LEARN & SUCCEED